As we move into the year 2017 implementing IoT technology still remains a challenge for most large and small companies looking to digitize their services and products.
Our study suggests that by the beginning of 2017 we will surpass more than 10,000 global enterprise IoT projects. While many of these projects are still in the PoC (Proof of Concept) stage, unfortunately few of these will fail due as they end up in frustration.
In recent months, the IoT analytics team performed extensive research on IoT technology implementation. Various companies implementing IoT solution in 2017 should be aware of the important points to avoid making mistakes others have made and failed.
Whether companies are working on environment, traffic management, vehicle tracking or wind energy, the basics of IoT technology is the same.
1. Organizational change are often ignored: This is number one challenge where people will still prefer to adopt to old methods or go back to traditional way of doing things. People will resist change and management should be more strong and agile.
2. IoT projects have long gestation period: Implementing IoT projects take long time, this is something that should be taken into consideration. An average implementation would take somewhere between 12 to 18 months. The reasons for prolonged project timeline can be numerous from technical issues to business related issues. All stakeholders need to be taught to be patient with implementing IoT solutions.
3. Essential skills are not available: Complete IoT solutions require broad range of skills including embedded cloud architecture, system design, data analytics, back end system integration. It is seen that skill gap is creating lots of issues in implementing IoT solutions. Companies need to upskill the workforce and focus on new technologies which are unique to IoT.
4. Lack optimum Security: When teams start to develop IoT technologies security is often an afterthought. Many times security is ignored to accommodate additional device functionality. Security best practices should be adopted and not ignored.
5. Scalability is always a major issue: Scalability is something which is most of the times ignored and also never reported. Scalability has been always an issue specially when going to thousands of devices. The IoT solution seekers need to know what even when you start small, you need to think big. The IoT technology should be taken with an option on scalability for the future.
The IoT (Internet of Things) is technology of the future. It has great potential and also enormous challenges. Taking care of the above points will help achieve IoT objectives much easily.